Thinking about building a new home in Centre County, PA? We have just the right property for you located near Historic Bellefonte.
The Centre County seat, Bellefonte, is 10 miles northeast of Penn State’s University Park Campus. It was named in honor of the town’s central spring “la belle fonte” meaning “Beautiful Fountain” by the French statesman Talleyrand, Bellefonte has been home to seven governors from three states.
Bellefonte proudly proclaims to be “Central Pennsylvania’s Victorian Secret” The members of PaFlyFish.com have selected Bellefonte, Pennsylvania as the Best Fly Fishing Town in Pennsylvania in 2009.
Some historical facts about Bellefonte, PA:
- Bellefonte was laid out in 1795 by Col. James Dunlop and son-in-law James Harris on a hilly site along Spring Creek opposite William Lamb’s mill.
- Bellefonte was the second town or city in the United States to have the streets lighted with electricity. The First was New York City
- President Lincoln’s great aunt by marriage Mrs. Lucy Potter lived in Bellefonte on N. Allegheny Street which is now the Centre County Library & Historical Museum
- Bellefonte’s history was not confined to the ground and water. The Bellefonte Air Field where the current Bellefonte High School stands, was the first stop on the first westbound air mail flight in 1918. The site was chosen and was in regular use until 1925. During the 1920’s it performed a vital service as the first airmail refueling stop in the nation. Bellefonte was also the first and last stop on Amelia Earhart’s round-trip trans-continental flight from New York to California and back
Victorian Bellefonte, a town proud of its heritage, a family friendly town of old-world charm with small-town friendliness.