The National Association of Home Builders suggest using a checklist and doing your research up front so you have a more successful home building experience. The following is a summary of the recommended list:
- Confirm the Builder is a member of the Builders Association
- The builder should have a permanent location and a good reputation with past customers lenders and material suppliers.
- How long has the builder been in business? It usually takes about 5 years to get established.
- Check out the Builders rating with the Better Business Bureau. You can see Fine Line Homes rating at http://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-eastern-pa/business-reviews/home-builders/fine-line-homes-lp-in-winfield-pa-235973799/
- The builder should maintain sufficient workers compensation and liability insurance or you may become liable.
- Make sure you are provided a clearly written and easy to understand contract spelling out what is include in the price
- Be cautious of unusually low-priced bids. This may indicate a potential problem. Less expensive does not necessarily mean better.