When building a new home there are several permits that will be needed before building can begin. Below is a list of permits in the order they are normally issued:

  1. Sewer Permit or Septic Permit – If Septic permit a perk test with design will be needed first.
  2.  Zoning permit – Most townships now require a Zoning Permit which should have a plot plan of your lot with house shown with setbacks from property lines on drawing.
  3. Water Permit – this varies greatly from water company to water company so you will need to call the water authority and get the information you will need.
  4. Driveway Permit – township or state will issue a permit. – If private drive, a driveway permit is normally not required.
  5. Building Permit – your builder will prepare a package of information the code office will require to issue a permit. Note: you will need a copy of the permits listed above when applying.