With winter here and the beautiful weather that accompanies this season it is important to take the proper precautions when it comes to shoveling snow. Thousands of people each year end up in the Emergency Room with injuries caused by shoveling snow. Whether it is lower back, heart, or head injuries most of them could be prevented by following a few simple steps, as suggested by Web-MD:
- Warm up with some light exercise first.
- Wear slip-resistant shoes.
- Pace yourself and take frequent breaks.
- Try to push the snow out of the way instead of lifting it.
- Do not throw the snow over your shoulder or to the side because the twisting motion involved may stress your back.